About Me and My Personal Struggle with Corn Allergy: From Mystery Symptoms to Real Recovery

About Me and My Personal Journey with Corn Allergy and Intolerance


Hey everyone, welcome back to the blog!  If you are back, I believe we have many things in common.  I wanted to share some of my story with corn allergy and intolerance.

In my first post, we talked about what corn allergy and intolerance really are, how sneaky those hidden derivatives can be in processed foods, and why so many people are finally connecting the dots. Today I want to get personal. This is the story I wish I could have read back in the late 1980s when my symptoms first started. If you’re sitting there wondering if corn could be behind your own unexplained issues, I hope my journey shows you one simple truth: you are not alone, and real relief is possible.
Corn Allergy and Intolerance



My problems began in the late 1980s, early 1990s: right around the time high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other corn-derived additives were flooding the American food supply. At first it was just vague discomfort: constant bloating, nausea, stomach cramps, and crushing fatigue. I figured it was something I ate, but I had no idea what. Over the next decade I saw doctor after doctor. I went through endoscopies, tried every prescription medication they threw at me for acid reflux and IBS-like symptoms, and still nothing really got better. The worst part? My body was quietly fighting a daily battle against hidden corn, and the damage added up. I eventually had to have my gallbladder removed because of all the inflammation and stress it was under.  And things still did not improve, in fact they got worse!
During those years I also dealt with intense anxiety. I’d get these waves of panic and unease that seemed to come out of nowhere. I thought it was just stress or “all in my head,” but looking back, it was very much tied to my body’s reaction to corn exposure. I felt trapped in my own skin, never knowing what meal or even what medication might set me off next.I kept pushing for answers, but nothing clicked until I finally sat down with a Registered Dietitian who took a completely different approach. Instead of ordering more tests, she simply started asking detailed questions about everything I ate and drank. She wanted me to pinpoint exactly when I felt the worst. As we talked, one memory stood out like a neon sign: in my mid-20s I could hardly finish a single bottle of my favorite beer without feeling violently sick: nausea, cramps, the works. That beer (like so many American lagers back then) contained both corn derivatives and gluten. Suddenly the pieces started falling into place.
That conversation was my turning point. I began eliminating both corn and gluten, but the real game-changer came when I committed to strictly whole, organic foods. No more guessing about citric acid in salad dressings, dextrose in medications, maltodextrin in snacks, or any of the other hidden corn ingredients we covered last time. I switched to fresh produce, plain meats, organic fruits/vegetables, rice, potatoes, and homemade everything. It wasn’t overnight, but slowly and surely the symptoms that had ruled my life for nearly ten years started fading. The bloating and nausea disappeared. My energy came back. And best of all, that constant anxiety lifted. I finally felt like myself again.
Looking back, the hardest part was the years of not knowing. I spent so much time feeling isolated and frustrated, thinking I was the only one dealing with this invisible enemy. But here’s what I want you to hear today: you’re not the only one. Corn allergy and intolerance are far more common than most people realize, especially in the U.S. where corn is in almost everything processed. And more importantly, there is a path forward.
If I could go back and tell my younger self one thing, it would be this: keep looking for that one person (a dietitian, an allergist, or even a supportive online community) who will truly listen and help you connect the dots. Once you identify the trigger and shift to whole, real foods, life opens up again. You can enjoy meals without fear. You can have energy for the things you love. You can feel healthy and hopeful.  It's not easy, and its a daily commitment, but your health and well-being is most important.
That’s exactly why I wrote my guide, Corn in Everything: Living with Corn Allergy and Intolerance – A Personal Guide. It’s the book I needed back then: full of the practical strategies, shopping cheat sheets, corn-free recipes, and non-food avoidance tips that finally gave me my life back. Kindle Subscribers can read this for free at this time and I appreciate a review if you found it worthwhile.

About Me: and yes, corn almost broke me. 

I'm Keith Conroy, a Buffalo, NY native, US Air Force veteran, and IT professional who spent years feeling "off": bloated, foggy, anxious, sleep deprived, and exhausted, without really knowing why. Like a lot of people who end up here, I wasn't handed a clean diagnosis. I had to figure it out the hard way: reading labels obsessively, eliminating foods one by one, and eventually connecting the dots that corn was quietly wrecking my system.

What surprised me most wasn't the allergy itself; it was just how hidden corn is in everyday life. It's in your water. It's in your medications. It's in the wax on your fruit. Once you start seeing it, you can't unsee it.

That's exactly why I started this blog.

There's no shortage of food allergy content on the internet: but corn allergy? It's still the wild west out there. Most resources are outdated, overly clinical, or just plain incomplete. I wanted to create a space that felt like getting advice from a friend who's actually been through it, and not a disclaimer-heavy medical article that tells you to "just avoid corn."

This blog is for:

  • 🌽 People newly diagnosed (or self-diagnosed) with a corn allergy or intolerance
  • 🌽 Parents trying to navigate corn-free living for their kids
  • 🌽 Anyone frustrated that "simple" things like drinking water have become complicated
  • 🌽 The skeptics who are still not sure if corn is really the issue — I get it, I was there too

I’ll be sharing more of those tools here on the blog in the coming weeks.If any part of my story sounds familiar: the mystery symptoms, the doctor visits that didn’t help, the anxiety that wouldn’t quit, please know you’re in good company. Drop a comment below and tell me where you are in your own journey. Your story might be the encouragement someone else needs today.
You’ve got this! Relief is closer than you think.Thanks for reading,
Keith Conroy



Author of Corn in Everything: Living with Corn Allergy and Intolerance – A Personal Guide (available on Amazon KDP)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hidden Corn” Checklist – Every Additive, Preservative, Spray, Gas, and Drink Trap You Need to Know

Introduction to Corn Allergy / Intolerance

Cross-Contamination: The Sneaky Hidden Source of Corn Most People Miss